Sunday, January 7, 2007

Week 4: Thing 8

Based on my previous experiences, Bloglines works best for people who check their feeds everyday. For me, Bloglines was "out of sight, out of mind." I would forget to check it, and then when I did, checking it became a huge chore. It was a vicious circle of I don't check it because it's too much work-it's too much work because I don't check it.

Something that serves a similar function for me, is my personalised Google homepage. Here I have a list of my favorite sites and brief headlines. So that if something attracts my interest or I have some free time, I just click on what I want. Without feeling overwhelmed by days worth of stuff waiting for me.

I think that RSS could be a great tool for libraries. Assuming that we can use it correctly. There's a delicate balance between too many posts/useless noise which people tune out and too few/"Hello? Is there anyone there?" which people lose interest in. It's be a great way to let people know about new additions to collections, especially for popular authors, to announce upcoming programs, and changes in the schedule.


Here are the RSS that I picked:

http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=vanessa

NOTE: The email I used to create the account is slippersb@gmail.com

If this is the "most difficult one of the whole 23" I think I might be able to finish!

No comments: