Sunday, February 11, 2007

Week 9, #22 Ebooks

Ebooks are my information resource of last resort. When faced with a difficult reference question, I always say a small prayer to the answer gods "please nothing is better." Working in a busy branch, I rarely have more than 3 minutes per reference transaction. Explaining that ebooks are books (my teacher says it can't be the internet), how to sign up, find your book, and then making sure they can access it from home, takes a lot longer. Sometimes a lot a lot longer.

For personal use, I couldn't find any of my favourite authors. For a subject search, I couldnt find anything newer than 2004. Who wants a 3 year old test book? Not me.

What ever happened to ebook readers? We're we supposed to be seeing the end of the paper book? In 2001, my branch of the Palm Beach County Library Systme debated whether or not to expand, because in the future we wouldn't need shelf space to store books. Hmmm. The library is currently closed while it expands from 8,000 to 24,000 feet.

No comments: