Friday, February 9, 2007

Week 8, #19 Take a Look at Library Thing

As someone who reads a lot of fluff fiction from several different authors, LibraryThing could help me keep track of what I've already read. The suggestions were pretty accurate, and slightly better than Amazon's recommendations.

Trying to come up with a subject, and not just describe a part of the plot, was harder than I expected. And looking at some of the tags others are using, I'm not the only one who is struggling.

This is why I'm concerned about libraries using LibraryThing for their catalog. I did a random search for 3 books. One book a record that was identical to ours. Another had half of the subjects. The last had nothing. Searching using a subject or keyword function is ineffective if books on the same subject can't be found together, or even worse, if there's no subject at all.

A couple of my books were popular, and one is something only I've listed. Which makes me feel unique and special...just like all the other unique and special people.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=slippersb
&shelf=list&sort=copiesREV

No comments: